Fast and easy ABN registration for your business
Join thousands of Australians who have successfully applied for their ABN using our fast and easy online forms. Your ABN is delivered straight to your inbox in less than one business day for just $69. Select your business structure type below to get started.
*NEW*: Download our informative guide on how and why to register an ABN in Australia
Register for an ABN as
Register an ABN for
Register for an ABN
as a company
Register an ABN
as a family trust
Register an ABN
for a unit trust
Register an ABN
for a super fund
Fast and Secure ABN Registration with the ATO
- 5-10 minutes to complete application over mobile or desktop.
- Your application is review by a professional registration agent to check for completeness and accuracy.
- ABN delivered to your inbox within one business day.
- Perfect for individuals, sole traders, contractors, companies, trusts, and anyone else who needs an ABN.
- Use same form to register a business name (fees apply), and register for GST.
- Professional support via chat, phone or email.
- Trusted by over 250 professional accounting firms across Australia.
- 5 star customer reviews
- We have helped over 100,000 Australian's establish their business since 1976.
- Every ABN Registration ordered through us helps towards planting a new tree in the Daintree Forest ().
- All customers are automatically invited to join our private Startup Community Facebook Group to discuss their small business challenges and get advice from the community.
- 1. Apply Online: Use the ABN registration form to provide the information required. The entire process will take no more than 5 to 10 minutes.
- 2. Review: Your ABN application is promptly reviewed for compliance to discard any issues, then processed for delivery. Please note our team comprises experienced compliance and accounting professionals who take the time to review the accuracy and correctness of the data you submit. Whilst this means we can’t provide your ABN to you in minutes, it does mean your application has a greater chance of being successful and error-free.
- 3. Delivery: Your ABN number will be assigned and delivered to your email inbox within one business day.
Why not try ordering your next abn registration online with us at ABNAustralia.com.au and experience for yourself the difference in service that our existing customers have come to expect.
Need to lookup an existing ABN?
From the Knowledge Base
Are you affiliated with the ATO or Australian Government?
Please note that we are not the ATO or affiliated with the Australian Government. We are a private business that performs business registrations on behalf of clients. ABNAustralia.com.au are an Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) Registered Agent providing ABN registrations for Individuals & Partnerships, Business name registrations, Companies and other tax entities for Australian Residents.
Do I use this form if I already have an ABN?
If you need to lookup an existing ABN, or update your existing ABN details, please click here. (you will be redirected to the Australian Government ABR website). Our service is for customers looking to apply for an ABN for the first time only.
Do I use this form if I wish to reactive a cancelled ABN?
If you wish to reactive a previously cancelled ABN then you do not need to apply for a new one. Please contact the ABR directly on ph: 13 92 26 or visit the ABR website in order to reactive your previous ABN. You can however simply apply for a new one using our online forms.
How much does the ABN application cost?
We offer our ABN Application services for $69. There is no Government fee associated with applying for an ABN, and it is possible to apply yourself for free on the Government's ABR website.
So what’s so different between the government application and our application? We join the entire application into a single form for you, we help you process your application quickly (whether you have one or multiple registrations to be made), and we offer the support of chartered accountants and customer service agents throughout the process to ensure you are compliant. The government will offer a seven-plus page form, no support or advice, and a huge degree of hassle if you even think of multiple registrations.
What is an ABN and why might you need one?
The Australian Business Number (ABN) is a unique 11 digit identifier issued to all entities registered in the Australian Business Register (ABR). It is in many cases necessary for business owners because it helps people to access tax credits and fuel credits. It also provides an easy and automatic way to unite invoicing information.
An ABN also enables businesses in Australia to deal with a range of government departments and agencies using a single identification number. The ABN is a public number which does not replace your tax file number. ABN registration details become part of the Australian Business Register (ABR) which the ATO maintains on behalf of the Commonwealth.
All in all, it’s easy to obtain and it’s worth it.
Who is eligible to apply for an ABN?If you’re wondering if you qualify, generally speaking, if you are carrying on an enterprise, chances are you’re eligible! Our easy online forms assist in helping determine if you are eligible or not.
How long will it take to get my ABN?We aim to deliver your ABN direct to your inbox within one business day. If you have not received your ABN from us within one business day, please contact us on email@example.com quoting your name.
What does carrying on an enterprise mean?An enterprise includes activities done in the form of a business, as well as some other activities such as acting as the trustee of a super fund or other trust, operating a charity and letting property.
While there is no single test to determine if you're carrying on a business, the following features are indicative of activities in the form of a business:
- the activity is a significant commercial activity, involving commercial sales of products or services, and is of a reasonable size and scale
- there is an intention to make a profit from the activity as demonstrated by a business plan (unlike with a hobby)
- the activity is repeated
- the activity is systematic, organised and carried on in a business-like way and records are kept
- the activity is carried on in a similar way to that of other businesses in the same or similar industry
- the entity has relevant knowledge or skill.
So do I really need an ABN?Obtaining an ABN is not compulsory. However, it is fast and easy to obtain and generally worth getting for a number of reasons. For example some customers and suppliers won't deal with other businesses if they don't have an ABN, you can't own a .com.au domain name without one, its hard to open a business bank account without one, and your customers (other businesses only) are required to withhold tax from your sales receipts if you don't have one! Our online forms make it fast and easy to apply for an ABN, and our trained staff review your order to make sure no missing information or mistakes have been made.
We have been providing ABN and business registrations for over 40 years, meaning you are in safe hands!
Can I apply for GST or PAYG at the same time?If you need to apply for GST or PAYG then simply select these options when completing your application form.
Can I use the same ABN for more than one business?You can conduct any number of businesses/activities under the same ABN provided they all operate under the same business structure. If your second or subsequent business operates under a different structure, you need to apply for separate ABNs for each new business structure.
How much does a business name registration cost?
Our online order forms make it easy to register a business name at the same time you are applying for an ABN. You can choose to register your business name for either one year ($146) or three years ($194).
When do I need to register a business name?
Generally, you will need to register a business name with us if you carry on a business or trade within Australia and you are not trading under your own entity name.
You do not need to register a business name if the entity is, for example:
- an individual and the business name is the individual’s name (their first name and surname)
- a registered company and the business name is the company’s name, or
- a partnership and the business name consists of all of the partners’ names.
The law does not allow any changes from the business holder’s name if you wish to rely on the above exemptions. For example, if your name is John Smith, and the name of your business is ‘John Smith & Co’, you will need to register the business name ‘John Smith & Co’.
If you are unsure about whether you are exempt from registering a name, or whether you are carrying on a business or trading within Australia then contact us for assistance.
A business name does not give you exclusive trading rights over the name.
The differences between business names, trade marks, company names and domain names sometimes cause confusion. Business name holders often think that by registering a business name they have protected a brand or trading name – whereas in fact the business name laws that exist today do not offer that type of protection.
The new business names laws have not changed any of the existing law relating to trade marks or to intellectual property in a name. Be aware that registering your business name does not give you ownership of that name. Registering a particular name does not stop another person from registering a similar name nor does it give you the exclusive right to use the name or part of the name. Also, registering a business name will not prevent the name being used by somebody who has registered it as a trade mark. This is an important point – and one that every business owner should be aware of. The obligation to register a business name is a legal obligation which is entirely separate to any steps that business owners may take to protect any intellectual property rights in a name or brand, such as registering a trade mark.
Generally, you must register a business name if you carry on business in Australia and you are not trading under your entity name.
What business structure best describes my business?Before apply for an ABN you need to understand what business structure you operate under.
Individual (Sole trader)
An individual or a sole trader is where you're the sole owner of the business, but you can employ staff. You're responsible for all decisions and losses in your business, and you report the business income in your personal tax return.
You and your partners carry on a business together and share income, losses and control of the business. The partnership can employ staff, but the partners in the partnership are not considered employees.
Your business or businesslike activity is held and controlled for the benefit of others (the beneficiaries). A trustee is responsible for everything in the trust, including income and losses.
A company is a separate legal entity from you, and has at least one shareholder or member and one director (who runs the business). Income and losses belong to the company. Companies can employ staff.
This means all superannuation entities including Self-Managed Super Funds (SMSFs). For a super fund to exist it must hold assets and have a trust with an appointed trustee.