Visa’s That Allow You to Establish a Business in Australia

For overseas customers looking to establish a business and live in Australia, having the right Australian Visa is critical.. Read on...

1) Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188)

The 188a visa allows you to establish a new or develop an existing business in Australia, conduct business and investment activity in Australia, and undertake entrepreneurial activity in Australia.

The subclass 188 will also allow you to travel in and out of Australia for the life of your visa and bring members of your family unit with you to Australia.

You can learn more about the subclass 188 here.

2) Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888)

The Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888) is the second stage of the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188). You can apply for the subclass 888 once you have been in Australia for the two years immediately before you apply.

If you are looking to extend your stay on the subclass 188 visa you must have held the visa for at least three years. To do this, you must ensure that your new or established business is in compliance with your visa, as well as Australian law.

You can learn more about the subclass 888 here.

3) Business Talent (Permanent) visa (subclass 132)

The subclass 132 visa allows you to create a new business or develop an existing business in Australia through one of two streams;

  • Significant Business History stream; and
  • Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream.

The Business Talent visa (subclass 132) allows you to establish a new business or to develop an existing business in Australia. The subclass 132 visa also allows you and any member of your family unit who has also been granted this visa to stay and work in Australia indefinitely.

Once you enter Australia, it is important that you establish a qualifying business or participate in an existing qualifying business in Australia. For visas such as the subclass 132 you must establish a business and also actively manage that business for a set timeline. 

You can learn more about the subclass 132 here.

Do you need help with an Australian visa application?

Navigating the Australian Visa requirements can be complex, and costly if not done right the first time. As such we always recommend speaking with an experienced migration agent as early as possible to ensure you achieve the most desirable outcome for you and your business.

If you are looking for somewhere to start, we can recommend Work Visa Lawyers. Work Visa Lawyers are experienced in assisting applicants in all matters relating to Australian visa applications. Their areas of expertise include Skilled Migration visas, Business Skills Migration visas, Employer Sponsored Work Visas, Partner and other Family Migration visas as well as the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) Review, Judicial Review and Ministerial Intervention.

You can contact them on the following:

(08) 8351 9956 or +61 8 8351 9956


Business in Australia


Phone 1300 226 226 to discuss how we can help.

Please note this article is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Should you have any queries or require more information, please contact the team at